Imitation porcelain tableware is a new type of tableware that is resistant to falling and brightly colored. It looks like ceramic cutlery but is stronger. That’s why many families use it, especially children. However, imitation porcelain tableware is a double-edged sword. Although manufacturers are required to use safe imitation porcelain tableware powder as a raw material, many illegal manufacturers still use urea-formaldehyde resin (a material that easily releases formaldehyde) to replace imitation porcelain tableware dust.
The price of imitation porcelain tableware as an approved tableware raw material is about twice the price of urea-formaldehyde resin illegally used by some companies, but the finished product is very similar. Therefore, in order to reduce costs, many companies use urea-formaldehyde resins instead of imitation porcelain tableware regardless of consumer safety.
However, urea-formaldehyde resins will hydrolyze and then release formaldehyde gas. The more water, the stronger the acidity, the higher the temperature, the more severe the hydrolysis, and the more formaldehyde gas is released. Formaldehyde has been listed as a carcinogen by the World Health Organization (who) and can cause symptoms such as headache, dizziness, fatigue, nausea, vomiting, chest tightness, and eye pain. Formaldehyde is a highly toxic substance, ranking second in China’s priority control list of toxic chemicals.
According to the different proportions of porcelain-like tableware resin and various additives, porcelain-like tableware products can be divided into food and non-food products. Although some imitation porcelain tableware products use qualified imitation porcelain tableware, their content does not meet the tableware standard due to other raw materials. Some imitation porcelain tableware products can only be used as packaging, marked “non-food use, do not use as tableware”.
The imitation porcelain tableware bowl at the bottom can teach you how to identify and use the dos and don’ts of imitation porcelain tableware bowls. If the approved imitation porcelain tableware powder is used as the raw material and the manufacturer’s production process is qualified, this imitation porcelain tableware bowl usually does not release “formaldehyde”. When buying and using imitation porcelain tableware wholesale, please pay attention to the following points to avoid damage:
1. Check whether the tableware has the QS mark, and do not buy products without safety marks;
2. Buy and choose products produced by common manufacturers from reliable channels;
3. Due to the high price of ceramic tableware raw materials used in ordinary melamine bowls, the price of ordinary melamine bowls is also higher, all above 10 yuan;
4. Do not buy brightly colored imitation porcelain tableware. Colored imitation porcelain tableware may contain too many heavy metals. Release during use may be hazardous to human health. Try to buy white imitation porcelain tableware with no pattern on the inner wall;
5. When using tableware, please remember that imitation porcelain tableware can not be cooked at high temperature, nor can it be heated in a microwave or oven. Try not to store acidic or alkaline foods for long periods of time. Imitation porcelain tableware cannot be sterilized in the sterilization cabinet and cannot be cleaned with steel balls. Because even ordinary porcelain tableware made of porcelain tableware powder will release traces of porcelain tableware molecules and migrate into food under high temperature environment (above 120 degrees) or strong acid and alkali conditions.
6. If the tableware is discolored, whitish, broken, worn or dirty, please stop using it.